News

News (249)

Somali federal government forces patrol a street of Mogadishu on February 18, 2015 (AFP Photo/Mohamed Abdiwahab)Police in the Somali capital have reported explosions and gunfire at the Somalia's education ministry. No official death toll has been given, but eyewitnesses have reported casualties.

The assault, which occurred on Tuesday morning local time, involved a group of armed militants, according to early reports by police .

Activists Marching at Abuja to commemorate the anniversary of the campaign to free the Chibok girls As Nigeria marked a year since the abduction of 276 schoolgirls from the northeastern town of Chibok by terrorist group Boko Haram, President-elect Muhammadu Buhari said he could not promise that his government would be able to find and rescue those still in captivity.

But he said if they were alive, his government would do its best to save them.

A migrant African child victim of Xenophobic attacks in South AfricaMalawi and Somalia are preparing to repatriate their countrymen after weeks of xenophobic violence in KwaZulu-Natal.

On Monday night, the Somali embassy said it was trying to trace its citizens and help them escape the violence. It has demanded urgent assistance from the Department of International Relations and Co-operation.

Ethiopian national Alex Marcus recovering at Prince Mshiyeni Hospital on 11 April 2015 after his Spaza shop was burnt in uMlazi township.One of the two Ethiopian brothers who were burned by a rampaging mob in anti-foreigner violence at a South African township has died, a community leader said Sunday.

The two men were in their shop in Umlazi, south of Durban, when it was petrol-bombed on Friday night.

Premier MchunuDurban - KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu on Thursday decried the recent spate of xenophobic attacks, saying those who target foreigners should not call themselves South African.

In a statement, Mchunu made a call for unity.

Demonstrators against XenophobiaNigerians were being attacked and killed in South Africa on a daily basis, the Nigerians Traders Union said on Thursday.

"In Nigeria, at the Mutala Mohammed Airport, there is no week you won't see a dead corpse coming from South Africa, said union chairperson Emmanuel Uguwu.

Late Oronto Douglas

Oronto Douglas, the Special Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on Research, Documentation and Strategy, is dead.

Mr. Douglas, 49, a presidency source said, passed on at the State House clinic at 4:58 a.m. Friday.

The real cause of his death is unknown at this time, but the presidential adviser is said to have managed a terminal illness for sometime, and had, from time to time, sought treatment abroad for prolonged periods.

MARCHERSDurban - Police used water cannon and tear gas to disperse about 300 foreign nationals gathered at Curries Fountain in central Durban on Wednesday morning.

The group was gathered to march against recent xenophobic attacks. They were initially due to march before Easter before police postponed it.

The Burnt Down Baptist Church ,Gidan Maso, Kano, NigeriaBarely one week after an attack on a branch of Living Faith Church popularly called Winners Chapel in Giwa, Headquarters of Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State by two unidentified arsonists, the Baptist Church at Gidan Maso village in Rogo Local Government Area of Kano State has been set ablaze and the residence of the Pastor, Rev Habila Garba, burnt by irate youths.

Mangosuthu ButheleziSouth Africa’s Home Affairs minister Melusi Gigaba has acted as a respectable leader and apologised to foreigners attacked on South African soil, a day after the Inkhata Freedom Party(IFP) leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi apologised. Several foreign nationals were attacked in Isipingo and Umlazi, South of Durban last week.

Victims rescued from the Al Shabab attacksAt least 147 people have been killed and 79 wounded in the Thursday’s attack on a Kenya university, according to the Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre. The centre says security forces have rescued more than 500 students from the Garissa University College campus but fighting is still going on.

zumas-sonThe SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) confirmed on Thursday that it had received a complaint of hate speech against President Jacob Zuma’s son, Edward Zuma.

“I can confirm that the commission has received a complaint following the alleged utterances made by President Jacob Zuma’s son," SAHRC spokesperson Isaac Mangena said.