News

News (249)

A-Looted Foreign_owned_shopSouth African police said Thursday they arrested 92 people after mobs went on a looting spree of grocery stores owned by foreign nationals in Johannesburg s Soweto township.

Thursday, 22 January 2015 21:08

No excuse for Soweto violence - Cosatu

Written by

Soweto Xenophobic_lootersThere is no excuse for assault, killings and looting of foreign-owned shops in Soweto, Cosatu said on Thursday.

"The police must take action, but in an even-handed way, treating all people equally," the Cosatu spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement.

State-of-emergencyPresident Goodluck Jonathan is to ask the country's national assembly to extend a state of emergency in three northeastern states hit by fighters when it expires this week, the justice minister has said.

Jonathan ordered troops into Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states in May last year.

Boko-HaramThe Nigerian army says it has recaptured the north-eastern town of Chibok, which was seized by Boko Haram militants on Thursday.

Boko Haram fighters kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the village in April, sparking global outrage.

TB-Joshua-SCOANThe bodies of 74 South Africans, killed when a church guesthouse collapsed in Nigeria in September, arrived home on Sunday, with South Africa looking to ease diplomatic tensions that flared after the disaster.

Muhammad-SanusiThe Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has urged Nigerians to brace up to defend themselves against the extremist Boko Haram sect which has mounted a bloody campaign against Nigerians; killing, maiming and overrunning territories.

Speaking on Saturday while making a closing remark at the weekly recitation of the Holy Quran as part of prayers for peace in the country, Mr. Sanusi urged religious and community leaders to undertake the immediate task of reinventing courage in their people, particularly the youth, in preparation for self defence against Boko Haram attacks.

Pastor TB_JoshuaTwo South Africans, who lost relatives when a guest house at the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) in Lagos collapsed, have told the BBC they intend to sue Nigerian evangelist TB Joshua.

The two men, who both lost sisters in the collapse, are appealing for more families to come together in bringing a case against the preacher.

At least 115 people, including 84 South Africans, died when the multi-storey building fell down earlier this month.

TB Joshua_Church_CollapseThe number of deaths in Nigeria's church hostel collapse has risen to 115, including 84 South Africans, a South African minister has said.

The worshippers were attending a gathering by Nigerian TV evangelist TB Joshua when a building collapsed in Lagos 10 days ago.

Meanwhile, 25 survivors have returned to South Africa, where they will receive further medical care.

jet1MILITARY sources said Tuesday that the two Nigerians arrested by South African police for trying to bring $9.3 million into their country were on legitimate business.

The sources said the transaction which was legal was also quite regular in international business, adding that the two were in South Africa to buy weapons needed in the face of security challenges in Nigeria.

DollarsSouth African police are investigating two Nigerians and an Israeli citizen who tried to bring over R102 million (9.3 million US dollars) in cash into the country illegally, a spokesman said on Monday, in what might have been part of an arms deal.

The South African Revenue Service (SARS) seized the funds at Lanseria airport, northwest of Johannesburg, on Sept. 5. The funds are being held at the central bank as police investigate, SARS spokeswoman Marika Muller said.

Ebola-Patient-at-a-centreNigerian health authorities said on Thursday they were holding for Ebola testing a South African national in transit to her country because she was showing potential symptoms of the disease after working in Guinea and Sierra Leone.

The South African woman, whose identity was not revealed, flew in to Lagos airport from Morocco. She was being treated as a suspected case and was being taken to Lagos’ Ebola treatment centre for tests to see whether she actually had the virus.

Oscar PistoriusThe judge in Oscar Pistorius’ trial ruled out a murder conviction for the double-amputee Olympian Thursday in the shooting death of his girlfriend but said he was negligent, raising the possibility he’ll be convicted of culpable homicide.

The verdict in the case that has riveted much of South Africa and the world is expected on Friday when Judge Thokozile Masipa reconvenes the judgment phase, climaxing the trial that began in March.